Definitions of Prana:
- /pra·na/ (prah´nah) [Sanskrit] in ayurvedic tradition, the life force or vital energy, which permeates the body and is especially concentrated along the midline in the chakras. Dorland’s Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers. © 2007 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Life sustaining energy centered in the human brain; the first of the five airs of Ayurvedic philosophy; the life force governing inspiration and the conscious intellect. Mentioned in: Hatha Yoga, Polarity Therapy. Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Ayurvedic medicine. The primal or vital energy that drives life; prana is analogous to qi (chi) in Chinese medicine, and viewed as having the qualities of a “nutrient” that can be taken into the body. Because prana is present in the air, breathing exercises are believed to have a central role in promoting health. Segen’s Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (prä·ne), n vital energy as articulated in the spiritual and healing systems of India. Similar to the Chinese qi, the Japanese ki, and the Greek pneuma. See also ki, Odic force, pneuma, qi, and vital force. Jonas: Mosby’s Dictionary of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. (c) 2005, Elsevier.
Our energy centers are called ‘chakras’ and studied in many ancient traditions and healing modalities. Each energy center has a focal point in the body, a color associated with it, and a psychological-spiritual focus. Please read below for a brief description of each energy center and affirmations that we created. Note: these are numbered from the bottom up: earth to heaven – base of the spine to top of the head as shown in our logo above and image shown here.
- Color: Red. Body area: legs, feet, bones, and base of the spine – coccyx, . Element: Earth. Material world, physical safety, family/social rules, health, stability, grounding. Affirmation: “I am grounded. I am healthy, strong, safe and secure.”
- Color: Orange. Body area: Genitals, sacrum, hips, lower back. Element: Water. Sex, money, creativity, emotions, blame or guilt, control, relationships, fluidity, connection. Affirmation: “I am in the flow – creative, connected and sharing loving intimacy.”
- Color: Yellow. Body area: Abdomen, liver, kidneys, spleen. Element: Fire. Power, energy, trust, fear, self-esteem, responsibility, clarity, honor, vitality, purpose. Affirmation: “I am clear, focused, and full of enthusiasm and energy.”
- Color: Green. Body area: Heart, lungs, ribs, shoulders, arms. Element: Air. Love, relationships, joy, grief, resentment, forgiveness, compassion, acceptance, balance. Affirmation: “I am full of love – joyfully giving and receiving.”
- Color: Blue. Body area: Throat, neck, mouth, teeth, thyroid. Element: Ether. Communication, my will vs. Thy will, self & creative expression, judgment, harmony. Affirmation: “I am open, expressive, and in harmony with the divine.”
- Color: Indigo. Body area: Forehead, “3rd eye”, brain, eyes, ears, nose. Truth, intelligence, openness, learning, insight, wisdom, ability to “see.” Affirmation: “I see with the eyes of Spirit.”
- Color: Purple. Body area: Top or crown of the head, skin, muscles, skeleton. Inspiration, connection to Universe/God, spirituality, presence, expanded consciousness. Affirmation: “I am one with the Light, God and Spirit.”